PTSA Monday Message March 11, 2018
Posted on by David Hoegerman
Welcome to the Monday Message for the Grafton High School 2017/2018 school year!
Contact the Monday Message at: email@example.com
Mar 12 – “B” Day
Mar 12 – Boys & Girls JV Soccer Invitational vs. Woodside @ 5:15 p.m., Wolftrap Park
Mar 12 – Girls Varsity Soccer Invitational vs. Kecoughtan @ 7:30 p.m., Bailey Field
Mar 12 – Boys Varsity Soccer Invitational vs. Denbigh @ 7:30 p.m., Kiln Creek
Mar 13 – Boys Varsity Lacrosse vs. HRA @ 4:30 p.m., TowneBank Field, Newport News
Mar 13 – Varsity Baseball vs. Warhill @ 4:30 p.m., Warhill High School
Mar 13 – JV Baseball vs. Warhill @ 4:30 p.m., Grafton High School
Mar 13 – Varsity Softball vs. Warhill @ 4:30 p.m., Warhill High School
Mar 14 – Girls Varsity Lacrosse vs. First Colonial @ 7:00 p.m., Yorktown MS
Mar 16 – Varsity Baseball vs. Poquoson @ 4:30 p.m., Grafton High School
Mar 16 – JV Baseball vs. Poquoson @ 4:30 p.m., Poquoson High School
Mar 16 – Varsity Softball vs. Poquoson @ 4:30 p.m., Grafton High School
Mar 16 – Girls Varsity Lacrosse vs. Menchville @ 4:30 p.m., Yorktown MAC #6
Mar 16 – Girls JV Lacrosse vs. Grassfield JV @ 6:00 p.m., Yorktown MAC #5
Mar 16 – Boys Varsity Lacrosse vs. Gloucester @ 7:30 p.m., Yorktown MAC #5
* Information for GHS sports is obtained from the Bay Rivers District site at: http://www.
CLIPPERS CARE NEWS
English 11 Writing – Student testing schedules for the upcoming March 13th & 14th Writing SOL were distributed during English classes. Please ask your student for the information. The first day is the Multiple Choice portion and the second day is the Writing Response portion.
PARENT AND TEACHER SECTION
AFTER PROM NEWS
OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE DINNER
Wednesday, March 14th from 5:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. in GHS Cafeteria. Dine-In or To-Go
We need deserts, drinks, paper products and manpower!! Please sign up to help make this After Prom Fundraiser a success using the link below:
GHS COLOR ME RED & BLUE 5K FUN RUN/WALK
Saturday, March 24th at 9:00 a.m. at Grafton High School Complex
We need runners, runners, runners to make this event a success. Spread the word, the more runners, the more fun!! Get a group together and come have some fun!! The cost is only $20 ($25 after March 11th and you get an event t-shirt if you are one of the first 300 to register.
You can register on-line at www.graftonafterprom.com anytime from now until the day before the race or you can drop or mail in the attached registration form to:
Grafton High School PTSA After Prom 5k Fun Run/Walk
403 Grafton Drive, Yorktown, VA 23692
The After Prom fun run needs volunteers to make it a success! If you’re not running/walking, please consider volunteering!
30e0a4ea8a82da4f49-2018 to sign up for a slot that fits into your busy schedule!
GRADUATION GARDEN FLAGS FOR SALE
The After Prom Committee is selling graduation garden flags for $22!
Flags are sold for $22 each which includes one name and year. There is a $2 charge for an additional name and year. Deadline to receive garden flag orders and payment is: March 29th
Please see flag order forms and sample flag in attachments. If you have any questions please contact: Wendy Linehan (757)509-8233 firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nominations for the GHS PTSA Executive Committee for 2018-19
The following Officer positions on the Board are currently vacant for next year. The election for these positions will take place in May at the final General PTSA Meeting of the year. However as per our Bylaws we need to report the nominees 30 days ahead of the General Meeting.
If you are interested in either position or would like more details, please let one of the Nominating Committee know as soon as possible.
Below is a brief list of duties for each position:
The vice president may be called upon at any time to assume temporarily the place of the president;
The vice president is responsible for:
• Performing specific duties as provided for in the bylaws
• Assuming responsibility for duties designated by the president
• Representing the president in her/his absence or upon request
• and is a standing member ex officio of the membership committee.
The recording secretary is responsible for keeping an accurate record of the proceedings of association meetings. The secretary should be committed to helping the president conduct a businesslike meeting.
The secretary is responsible for:
• Recording minutes of PTA meetings, motions (recorded exactly as stated) and action taken
• Keeping secure official, permanent PTA records, including all originals of approved minutes and maintaining a copy of current bylaws, standing rules, and a membership list
The secretary should have these items on hand at all meetings:
• Minutes of the previous meeting
• Copies of the previous treasurer’s report
• List of unfinished business to be discussed
• Current bylaws and standing rules
• Current membership list
• List of committee chairs
• Materials for note/minute taking
The next meeting of the PTSA Board is Thursday, March 22nd at 7:00 p.m. in the Principal’s Conference Room. All are welcome. Notice the change in day, we usually meet on a Tuesday but there is a conflict with another event that is happening on Tuesday the 20th so we have moved our meeting.
RED & BLUE CREW
The next Red & Blue Crew is Friday, March 23rd in the cafeteria during all lunch blocks. We will be serving yummy home-made brownies. Remember to visit the RBC table during lunch to get your brownie. If you remember your PTSA membership card you will get extra candy!!
PTSA Member Discounts
Don’t forget as a PTSA Member you can 10% off at the following establishments:
• Ben & Jerry’s (Yorktown location)
• Plaza Azteca (Yorktown location)
• Thai Erawan (Yorktown/Shady Banks)
• Vinny’s Pizza & Pasta (Yorktown location)
• Andrea’s Italian Restaurant (Yorktown location)
• Thai Siam Cuisine (Yorktown/Grafton Station)
• Yorktown Pub
• Gus’s New York Pizza (Yorktown location)
• Li Chinese Restaurant (Yorktown/Shady Banks)
• Bay Haven Grill (Dine-In only)
• 3 Amigos (Nelson’s Grant)
• The Pizza Shop (Yorktown Location)
• Party Essentials (located off Route 17 in Grafton)
• Holy Mackerel Seafood & Smokehouse
• Uno’s Pizzeria & Grill $5 off $15 (Yorktown/Grafton)
• Riverside Wellness Center Corporate Membership
• Victoria’s Day Spa 15% off Mon/Tues/Wed only
• YMCA – Join with no registration fee ($100 value)
• Mathnasium Math center free $100 assessment
To check out your National Member Benefit Providers
Click on the link below:
REMEMBER we have passive fundraisers at Kroger and Farm Fresh running all the time and with Easter coming there will be plenty of opportunity to shop and earn money for Grafton. Just shop as you normally would!! Spread the word about these fundraisers and you can even involve friends, family and neighbors. You do not have to be a PTSA member to take part in any of them.
If you shop at Kroger please consider registering your Kroger Plus Card on-line and selecting Grafton PTSA as the beneficiary. Every time you shop you will earn monetary rewards for GHS PTSA which we collect in the form of a check every quarter. Last year we earned over $1500 with this fundraiser alone and that was with only 47 Grafton families enrolled.
If you shop at Farm Fresh then remember to show the Grafton High School key fob you received when you joined the PTSA. The key fob is registered to GHS PTSA so you don’t have to do anything else. The Farm Fresh rewards are redeemed via a catalogue enabling the Administration to choose items that will benefit the school.
Use the link below to check out all of these fundraisers and have fun shopping!
GRAFTON ATHLETIC BOOSTER CLUB BOARD
2018 SUMMER CAMP ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIP
The Grafton Athletic Booster Club is pleased to announce the continuation of the SUMMER CAMP ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIP!
Applications are available at school in the guidance office, on the GABC website, or attached to this email. Applications must be completed and given to the athlete’s coach no later than Friday, March 16th.
If you have any questions please contact Shannon Davie at 757-879-7593 or email@example.com.
Interested in supporting Grafton’s Sports Activities? Consider joining the GABC for only $10.00. You may be wondering where the money goes. All of your $10.00 returns back to the athletes in equipment for each sport as well as hosting the end of the season banquet. Senior recognition is also supported by the booster club, along with scholarships. You can join the GABC on-line too.
Parents of Seniors – Please have your student bring a copy of their college acceptance and scholarship letters to the counseling office.
NEWS YOU CAN USE
GHS PTSA has a Facebook Page!!! Search for Grafton High School PTSA the next time you’re on Facebook. We’ll try to keep you up to date the new old fashioned way!! Please share the page with your friends and family.
Did you know the school has a Facebook page too? Search for Grafton Clippers. This page is updated by the school and has lots of info that may not make it home via your student!!
Parents – did you know that YCSD students have access to a wide variety of online educational resources, both at school and at home, to support their academic success? Tools such as Homework Help/Office 365/Power School and Hot Math. You can have access to all these tools too, just sign in to the portal using your student’s username and password. The website is:
Be sure to check out the student portal!
The following is a list of useful links regarding guidance, calendars, and school board meetings:
1. Grafton High: https://www.edline.net/pages/
2. GHS Faculty & Staff Listing: https://www.edline.net/pages/
GraftonHS (Teachers/Staff link)
3. After Prom: www.graftonafterprom.com
4. Guidance: https://www.edline.net/pages/
5. Clinic: http://www.edline.net/pages/
6. Band: www.graftonband.com
8. Clubs & Activities: https://www.edline.net/pages/
GraftonHS (Clubs/Activities link)
9. YCSD Calendar: http://yorkcountyschools.org/
10. School hours: http://yorkcountyschools.org/
11. Attendance Requirements: https://www.edline.net/pages/
12. School Board Meetings & Dates: http://yorkcountyschools.org/
13. Lunch Prices: http://yorkcountyschools.org/
14. Curriculum Info: http://yorkcountyschools.org/
15. YCSD website: http://yorkcountyschools.org
16. Videos on math topics: http://www.khanacademy.org/
17. Step-by-Step homework problems review: http://hotmath.com/
** – Username: Clippers123 – Login, then search for your book
18. Explanations & examples for math topics: http://www.sosmath.com/
19. Free graph paper: http://www.
Posted in PTSA Monday Message